‘It’s a great evening to really honor the journeys of so many aspiring young people’
Celebrating the academic success of high school seniors from its partnership schools who were admitted to the UC system for 2023–2024, the Early Academic Outreach Program (EAOP) at UC Santa Barbara this spring is holding a series of UC Success Nights throughout the region.
UC-admitted seniors and their families from Santa Maria, Rio Mesa, Pacifica, Pioneer Valley, Santa Paula, South, Channel Islands, Ernest Righetti, Fillmore and Hueneme high schools, were invited to attend their respective high school events.
The events include recognition by representatives from the offices of Congresswoman Julia Brownley and Salud Carbajal, Senators Monique Limón and Melissa Hurtado, State Assembly Members Steve Bennett, Dr. Jasmeet Bains and Greg Hart; and student keynote speeches in English and Spanish. Attendees will also have the opportunity to meet administrators and current undergraduate students. In addition, attendees get to network with other students and families from their hometowns that will potentially be attending the same universities in the fall.
“This is really one of my favorite EAOP sponsored events of the year,” said Britt Ortiz, director of EAOP. “We have the opportunity to recognize so many successful youths and their academic achievements. The recognition of their families, the hard work and dreams coming true is really a sight to be seen during UC Success Night. The cheers, tears, smiles, laughter and stories of hard work and sacrifice can be heard loud and clear throughout the student speeches. All the proud families, school staff and siblings are there to applaud their respective senior.
“Many of our EAOP students are first generation college bound,” Ortiz added. “They come from humble beginnings in communities that will benefit from their current and future college and career successes. It’s a great evening to really honor the journeys of so many aspiring young people.”
The 2023 UC Success Nights still to come were scheduled as follows:
• Santa Maria High School — Tuesday, April 18, 5:30 p.m., Veterans Hall, 313 W. Tunnell Street, Santa Maria
• Rio Mesa High School — Wednesday, April 19, 6 p.m., RMHS Cafeteria, 545 Central Ave., Oxnard
• Pacifica High School — Thursday, April 20, 6 p.m., PHS Cafeteria, 600 E. Gonzalez Rd., Oxnard
• Pioneer Valley High School — Friday, April 21, 6 p.m., PVHS Cafeteria, 675 Panther Drive, Santa Maria
• Santa Paula High School — Tuesday, April 25, 6 p.m., SPHS Center Courts, 404 N. 6th St., Santa Paula
• South High School — Wednesday, April 26, 5:30 p.m., SHS Cafeteria, 1101 Planz Rd., Bakersfield
• Channel Islands High School — Thursday, April 27, 6 p.m., CIHS Cafeteria, 1400 Raiders Way, Oxnard
• Ernest Righetti High School — Friday, May 12, 5:30 p.m., location to be determined
Event details for Fillmore High School and Hueneme High School are still to be finalized.